A gunman opened fire near the White House on Saturday evening before being fatally shot by U.S. Secret Service officers in an exchange of gunfire that briefly placed the presidential complex under lockdown, according to federal authorities.
The incident occurred shortly after 6 p.m. near the intersection of 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, adjacent to the White House complex and the Eisenhower Executive Office Building. Officials said the suspect approached a Secret Service security checkpoint, pulled a firearm from a bag, and began firing at officers stationed there. Secret Service personnel immediately returned fire, critically wounding the suspect, who was later pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
Authorities identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best, a man who law enforcement officials said had previous encounters with both the U.S. Secret Service and Washington’s Metropolitan Police Department. Several U.S. media outlets reported that Best had a documented history of mental health concerns and prior attempts to gain access to restricted areas around the White House.
The Secret Service confirmed that a bystander was also struck during the shooting, although investigators have not yet determined whether the individual was hit by gunfire from the suspect or responding officers. The condition of the injured bystander was not immediately disclosed. No Secret Service personnel were injured.
President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time of the incident but was not harmed, according to the Secret Service and White House officials. The White House complex was placed under temporary lockdown for roughly 40 minutes before security restrictions were lifted. Reporters gathered on the North Lawn were rushed into the White House briefing room as multiple rounds of gunfire echoed across the area.
In a statement issued early Sunday on Truth Social, Trump praised law enforcement officers for their response.
“Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House,” Trump wrote, adding that the suspect had “a violent history and possible obsession with our Country’s most cherished structure.”
The U.S. Secret Service also released an official statement confirming the sequence of events.
“According to a preliminary investigation, a male approached a Secret Service checkpoint at 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, removed a weapon from a bag, and began firing at officers,” the agency said. “Secret Service officers returned fire, striking the suspect.”
According to court documents cited by multiple U.S. media organizations, Best had previously been arrested in July 2025 for unlawful entry after entering a restricted area near the White House despite warnings from officers. During that incident, he allegedly claimed to be Jesus Christ and said he wanted to be arrested. Officials also said he had previously been involuntarily committed for obstructing vehicle access near the White House complex.
Law enforcement officials said Best was known to Secret Service officers for repeatedly walking around the White House perimeter and asking security personnel about gaining access to restricted areas. A court-issued stay-away order had reportedly barred him from the vicinity of the White House after his earlier arrest.
FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed that federal investigators were assisting the Secret Service in the investigation. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Metropolitan Police Department also joined the probe.
The shooting occurred in a busy pedestrian section along Pennsylvania Avenue, an area frequented by tourists, journalists, and White House visitors. Portions of the plaza had only recently reopened to the public following months of restricted access.
Witnesses described scenes of panic as shots rang out near the White House perimeter. CBS News reporter Aaron Navarro, who was on the White House grounds during the incident, told the BBC that he heard multiple bursts of gunfire before Secret Service agents ordered everyone to take cover.
“As soon as we heard it, we ducked down and I started to see other reporters starting to run,” Navarro said. “You shortly heard Secret Service officers saying ‘get inside, get inside.’”
ABC News Senior White House Correspondent Selina Wang also described the chaotic moments after the shooting, saying reporters were instructed to sprint into the briefing room as gunshots continued outside.
The incident comes amid heightened concerns over presidential security and follows another recent shooting incident connected to the White House Correspondents’ Dinner in Washington. Trump referenced that earlier episode in his social media post while renewing calls for expanded security measures around the White House complex.
Federal authorities have not yet announced a motive for Saturday’s attack, and the investigation remains ongoing.


