Three Bangladeshi nationals were killed in a series of suspected landmine explosions near the Bangladesh-Myanmar border in southeastern Bandarban district on Sunday, local authorities and residents said.
The incident occurred around midday in the Ghumdhum border area of Naikhongchhari upazila, close to border pillar 41, according to police and local representatives. The victims were reportedly working in fruit orchards near the zero line when the explosions took place.
The deceased were identified as Ongkyamong Tanchangya, 40, Chingkhyang Tanchangya, 32, and Chopoching Tanchangya, also known as Leraiya, 35. All three were residents of Bhalukiyapara village under Ghumdhum union.
Local residents said the first explosion critically injured one worker. As others rushed to rescue him, two more blasts occurred in quick succession, leaving all three men fatally wounded. Witnesses said the explosions severed the lower halves of the victims’ bodies.
Members of the Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB), police and local residents later recovered the bodies from the scene.
Inspector Zafar Iqbal of the Ghumdhum Police Investigation Center said the victims had gone to work in orchards near the border area when the explosions occurred.
Former Ghumdhum union member Babul Kanti Chakma said local residents regularly cultivate orchards and farmland along the frontier as their primary means of livelihood despite the risks.
“Last year, two people went missing while working near the border and are still untraced,” he said. “A woman also lost both her legs in a previous mine explosion while collecting vegetables in the forest. People living near the border are terrified.”
Local officials said the explosions occurred inside the no-man’s-land area, though questions remain over who planted the explosives.
Naikhongchhari Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) Enamul Hasan confirmed the deaths and said authorities were investigating the incident.
“We have received reports that three Bangladeshis were killed in a landmine explosion in Ghumdhum union,” Hasan said. “Preliminary information suggests the incident took place in the no-man’s-land area near the border. It is still unclear who planted the mines.”
Residents and local representatives have urged authorities to conduct a full investigation and strengthen security measures in the border region to prevent further casualties.


