Thursday, August 20, 2026 | Columbus |
| Columbus
the VOICE News
DIPLOMACY, POLITICS, AND POLICY — UP CLOSE

Russian Ballistic Missile Strike Kills 12 in Ukraine

- August 20, 2026, 04:52 PM ET

Kyiv, 20 August –  At least 12 people were killed and more than 30 others injured after Russia launched a ballistic missile attack on Ukraine’s capital Kyiv early Thursday, damaging residential buildings and disrupting electricity supplies in several parts of the city.

Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko said a nine-storey residential building in the Solomianskyi district caught fire, with several upper floors destroyed. Seven people were killed in the district. Klitschko called for a day of mourning on Friday to honour the victims.

Two other districts of Kyiv were also affected. Residential buildings, warehouses, a school and a children’s hospital were among the sites damaged in the attack.

Energy company DTEK said around 90,000 homes in the capital were left without electricity following the strikes. Power was later restored to more than half of the affected homes.

A witness said he heard more than a dozen explosions across Kyiv. A local official also reported another death in an area outside the capital.

Video released by Ukraine’s emergency services showed rescuers battling fires and evacuating people from damaged buildings.

Russia’s Defence Ministry said its forces had carried out air and drone strikes on Kyiv and surrounding areas. It claimed the attacks targeted facilities producing drone components, a military warehouse and a logistics centre, among other sites.

Russia has intensified its aerial attacks on Ukraine in recent months, reportedly taking advantage of shortages of interceptor missiles needed to defend against ballistic missile strikes.

Ukraine Also Targets Russia

Ukraine has also increased attacks inside Russia, targeting oil facilities and logistics infrastructure in an effort to weaken Moscow’s ability to sustain the war.

Romania’s Defence Ministry said a drone used during the Russian attack crashed on Romanian territory, while Moldova’s military reported that another drone crossed its airspace.

Diplomatic Efforts Remain Stalled

Diplomatic efforts to end the war have so far failed to produce a lasting ceasefire since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Kyiv had submitted proposals for a peace plan to US negotiators Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. He has also repeatedly urged Washington to provide additional interceptor missiles to strengthen Ukraine’s air defences.

Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said Moscow had not yet received a specific proposal for another meeting with the US negotiators. However, she said Russia was prepared to arrange a meeting even at short notice.

Witkoff and Kushner last visited Moscow in January but have not yet travelled to Kyiv.

COMMENTS

Scroll to Top