Hundreds of madrasa students stormed the Brahmanbaria Police Lines late Tuesday, attacking police personnel, vandalizing property and forcing a cultural program to shut down after a dispute over loud music, according to witnesses and local officials.
Several police personnel were injured in the initial attack. Police later used batons to disperse the students, leaving at least 20 madrasa students injured. At least 30 people from both sides were reported hurt in the violence.
The attack occurred around 11 p.m. at the Police Lines in the West Medda area of Brahmanbaria municipality, where the district police were holding a cultural program in connection with a visit by the deputy inspector general of police for the Chattogram Range.
The incident was followed Wednesday by the cancellation of another cultural event in Kishoreganj district, where the administration withdrew previously granted permission for a concert after a local organization of imams and Islamic scholars objected to the event, describing music as contrary to Sharia law and warning of possible deterioration in law and order.
The two incidents occurred within about a day of each other, but under different circumstances: the Brahmanbaria program was stopped after an attack inside a police facility, while the Kishoreganj concert was canceled by the administration before it could take place.
More than 100 students enter Police Lines
Madrasa students said music was being played at a high volume during the Brahmanbaria program. Some students asked for the volume to be lowered, leading to an argument between police and the students.
Witnesses said more than 100 madrasa students subsequently entered the Police Lines, attacked police personnel and vandalized property, bringing the cultural program to an abrupt end.
Several police personnel were injured in the initial attack. Police then used batons to disperse the students and bring the situation under control. At least 20 madrasa students were injured in the police action, according to accounts from the scene.
Tension continued into the night before representatives of the two sides held talks.
Brahmanbaria Superintendent of Police Shah Md. Abdur Rouf, district council administrator and district BNP General Secretary Md. Sirajul Islam and others joined discussions with the madrasa authorities.
The students demanded that loud music no longer be played at the Police Lines and called for action against those responsible for assaulting students.
“If anyone acted overenthusiastically and did something inappropriate, action will be taken in that regard,” Abdur Rouf said during the discussions.
The talks eventually brought the situation under control.
Videos circulated on social media after the incident showed some madrasa teachers and students making inflammatory statements and declaring that they would not allow concerts to be held at the Brahmanbaria Police Lines in the future.
The confrontation comes amid wider disputes over cultural activities in Brahmanbaria. In May, the Brahmanbaria Film Society suspended a scheduled screening of filmmaker Tanim Noor’s Banalata Express at Annada Government High School following protests by Qawmi madrasa students.
A separate attempt by local cultural activists to screen the film in Kasba was also stopped after police intervened over security concerns.
Kishoreganj concert canceled after objection from Imam-Ulama group
Hours after the Brahmanbaria confrontation, a previously approved concert scheduled for Wednesday at the Old Stadium in Kishoreganj was canceled by the district administration.
Alishan Restaurant had organized the concert as part of a prize-giving program for a raffle draw. Popular Bangladeshi band Ashes and singer Nobel were scheduled to perform.
Organizers formally announced the concert on Aug. 17, although they said preparations had begun at least 15 days earlier and that they had applied to the district administration for permission.
On Aug. 18, the Kishoreganj Sadar Upazila Imam-Ulama Parishad submitted a written application to the deputy commissioner demanding cancellation of the concert.
Maulana Ahmadullah, president of the organization’s Sadar Upazila unit, submitted the application.
The organization described the planned musical event as contrary to Sharia law and demanded that it be stopped. The application also warned that the concert could lead to a deterioration in law and order.
Ahmadullah said Wednesday afternoon that the district administration had withdrawn permission following their application.
Organizers say they had official permission
Alishan Restaurant owner Md. Ibrahim Khalil said the concert had been arranged to distribute prizes from a raffle draw and that the organizers had received permission from the district administration after submitting a written application.
The administration informed them Wednesday afternoon that the concert could no longer go ahead, he said.
After receiving the decision, workers began dismantling the stage and removing equipment from the Old Stadium. Workers were seen loading stage materials onto trucks Wednesday afternoon.
Kishoreganj Deputy Commissioner Sohana Nasrin acknowledged that the administration had initially granted permission for the concert.
She said the decision was reversed after intelligence agencies reported a risk of deterioration in law and order surrounding the event. Nasrin also said the organizing establishment lacked necessary licenses.
The organizers disputed the licensing claim, saying they had the required documents and licenses and had obtained permission for the concert from the district administration through the proper process.
They said the last-minute withdrawal of permission left them with no option but to cancel the event.
Local cultural and music enthusiasts expressed disappointment over the cancellation, saying a society needs healthy cultural activities, music and entertainment alongside religious values.

COMMENTS