Relations between the United States and Cuba have sharply deteriorated after US Secretary of State Marco Rubio described Cuba as a “national security threat” and warned that prospects for a peaceful diplomatic agreement with Havana were “not high.”
Rubio’s remarks came a day after the United States charged former Cuban president Raúl Castro with murder over the 1996 downing of two civilian aircraft that killed several US nationals.
Speaking to reporters on Thursday, Rubio said Washington still preferred “a diplomatic solution” but insisted that US President Donald Trump had both the “right and obligation” to protect the country from perceived threats.
Rubio also accused Cuba of being “one of the leading sponsors of terrorism in the region,” allegations strongly rejected by Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez Parrilla.
In a statement posted on social media platform X, Rodríguez accused Rubio of spreading “lies” and attempting to “instigate military aggression” against Cuba. He said Havana had never posed a threat to the United States and condemned what he described as Washington’s “systematic attacks” on the island nation.
The latest dispute comes as Cuba faces a deepening economic and humanitarian crisis, marked by severe fuel shortages, prolonged blackouts and food scarcity. Cuban authorities blame the worsening conditions partly on longstanding US sanctions and what they describe as an effective oil blockade.
Rubio stated that Cuba had accepted a US humanitarian aid offer worth $100 million, though tensions between the two countries continue to intensify.
The indictment against Castro has drawn international attention and criticism from countries including Russia and China, both of which condemned the US move as politically motivated.
When asked how the United States intended to bring Castro to face trial, Rubio declined to provide details, saying he would not discuss any possible plans publicly. Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche earlier said US authorities expected Castro to appear in court “by his own will or another way.”
Meanwhile, Rubio announced the arrest of Adys Lastres Morera, the sister of a senior official linked to a military-controlled Cuban conglomerate. According to Rubio, Morera had been living in Florida while allegedly assisting the Cuban government. She remains in immigration custody pending deportation proceedings.
President Trump also intensified rhetoric against Havana, calling Cuba a “failed country” while saying the US was attempting to help its people “on a humanitarian basis.” He suggested that his administration could succeed where previous US governments had failed in dealing with Cuba’s communist leadership.
The escalating confrontation marks one of the most serious crises in US-Cuba relations in recent years, raising fears of further diplomatic isolation and regional instability in the Caribbean.


